Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Off to Oregon

While Rachel and Jude were in MI, I was in eastern Oregon to begin a new research project. I'm working with my good friend Forrest, whom I studied with at the University of Florida, and friends and colleagues Chad Davis and Kevin Boston, whom I met at Oregon State University. We're working in Wallowa County, one of the most gorgeous places in the western US, to examine landscape change and forest health.

Our field camp was not nearly as posh (ironically enough) as it was for me in Uganda. In Uganda, I had nearly dependable electricity. Here, our gracious hosts allowed us the use of their backyard. We ran out the extension cords for electricity, set up tents, and the patio quickly became basecamp - complete with the requisite green Coleman stove that so many of have grown up with. Lots of noodle dishes. I personally liked the left-over stroganoff with pork sausage and chilli. mmm. Of course, that would all be washed down with semi-cold TG IPA.

I spent 2 great weeks here the latter part of July. Forrest luckily was there a month in total. By the time that I had gotten there in mid-July, the guy seriously had met everyone - though should I be concerned that he was extremely well known at the local brewery?

Whatever the reason, it was good to get right into the circle and meet the Wallowa County folks. And he always managed to get up the next morning for fieldwork - and boy did he look good with that relaskop in hand! And for those of you who've never been to a real hootenanny, then you're missing out out great music, cobbler, and lots of funny stories. You mix that with 4 days of Chief Joseph Days (www.chiefjosephdays.com), and you got yerself 1 great line up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

cluster maps

background

counter