Wednesday, August 13, 2008

What Joel do did this summer

So many have often asked, "What on earth does Joel do?". Well, I am now finally getting around to posting a blog about what I do. Since I'm a geographer (not a geologist as many people seem to think. Yes, I often get questions along the lines of, "... so I have the rocks..." or "you're a geologist right?... so what kind of rocks do we have here?") - seriously, I know very little about rocks. In fact, I often get lost too (and yes, people wonder how I can still get lost and still be a geographer). I do like maps, so maybe that qualifies me as a geographer. Ahh... I digress.



Where was I? Oh yes, fieldwork. I spent 2 great weeks in early June visiting western Uganda. For those of you who don't know, I've been researching communities neighboring Kibale National Park since the summer of 2005. Never a dull moment living inside the park - lots of monkeys. This year, we battled baboons and army ants. After mistakenly walking through a trail of these little buggers at midnight on the way to the cho (that's the "long drop" outhouse). Seconds later, I was in my underwear picking those things off of me. They were everywhere. Yes, I mean everywhere!


I spent the couple of weeks working non-stop - 16 hour days. Ok, I did stop to finally have a "pork session" with some friends. Barbecued pork and semi-cold beer. What could be better?

I was there to meet with park officials, hold meetings, and to set up a new research project to study the impacts of climate variability.


The best part about all of this though is visiting the people. I miss them. My wonderful field assistant and friend, Erimosi Agaba has been working with us since 2004. He speaks 7 different languages and has been an asset every day. He helps me navigate those very tough days and those funny times when I offer rides to women with chickens.

We've also grown attached to Adhiri. She's 79 now (though she told us this last year and the year before. Maybe she'd figured out how to stop the aging process.). Regardless, we've adopted her as the grandmother of the project. Her smile warms our hearts and I can tell you, her spirits and faith touch all those who meet her. She's extremely sick, but always puts on a big smile when I see her each year.


And lastly, I visited many of the rural community libraries that I've helped support. Books Open the World is a non-profit organization that focuses on education and empowerment of young girls and women in the rural communities around Kibale. Please visit www.booksopenthe world.org.
I visited Mituuli Primary School to help coordinate a new letter writing program with Oak Hall School in Gainesville, FL. What a joy to see all the smiling faces and to know that our hard work is helping people.


1 comment:

  1. ERIMOSIIIII!
    (and Dr. Goldman.. wonder if he ever got my package :)...

    thanks for all the pictures and updates.. absolutely brilliant seeing you in the field... nimefurahi sana!

    ReplyDelete

cluster maps

background

counter